About This Course
In this interactive course, we tackle the problem of microaggressions in the workplace. These subtle, negative comments or actions are often unintentional but nonetheless have a damaging impact on the target recipients – like, being asked “Where are you really from?” or when a female physician is mistaken for a nurse.
We start by gaining an understanding of what microaggressions are, and then review the different types and the ways they can present at work. Finally, we review a variety of strategies for addressing them, both passive and active. By engaging in various exercises and discussions, participants leave with a fuller understanding of how to recognize these behaviours and solid tools for dealing with them when they occur.
What You’ll Learn
- Understanding what microaggressions are
- Identifying microaggressions when they occur
- Exploring and practicing strategies for responding to microaggressions
Course Topics Include:
- The definition of “Microaggressions”
- Three types of microaggressions (microinsult, microinvalidation, microassault)
- Different types of microaggressions
- Responding to microaggressions
- Did one occur?
- Should I respond?
- How do I respond?
- Passive/active responses
- Different active responses
- Strategies for receiving feedback after engaging in a microaggression