About This Course
A respectful workplace is more than just one that is free from harassment and discrimination. Employees truly thrive in those workplaces where they feel like they belong, and civility is a critical component for creating this key sense of belonging. This course looks at the “everyday bumps and bruises” of the workplace and is designed to turn attendees’ attention inward to focus on and consider their own behaviour.
We start by discussing the impact of uncivil behaviour in the workplace and its negative repercussions. We then work with participants to create a “Civility Code,” which can be unique to their specific workplace/group. Finally, we provide a menu of options for dealing with uncivil behaviour in the workplace.
- Understanding why workplace civility matters
- Defining what civility is, and is not
- Exploring various strategies for dealing with workplace incivility
Course Topics Include
- A review of the harms of incivility (and benefits of civility)
- Discussion of different uncivil scenarios and their negative impacts
- Analysis of behaviours that make up a civil workplace – the “Civility Code”
- What civility is not
- Ways in which the Civility Code can be put into practice
- Addressing incivility through:
- Calling a “timeout”
- Having a deeper conversation (using the “LEARN” technique)