About Janice Rubin
Janice Rubin is the co-founder and co-managing partner of Rubin Thomlinson LLP. With over 20 years of experience, she is a highly accomplished employment lawyer, one of the country’s foremost experts in workplace investigations, and a trusted advisor to senior human resource professionals.
Janice brings not only her skills in employment law, but also her experience in running a successful business. When working with clients, Janice keeps a constant eye on value while solving problems efficiently and practically. An astute judge and strategic thinker, Janice has a knack for cutting right through the complexity to see the essential kernel of the issue. Her approach is pragmatic, creative, and includes a good dose of common sense.
Janice and her colleagues work across the country, and have conducted various high profile investigations/reviews in workplaces such as the CBC, the Canadian Olympic Committee and the Government of Newfoundland and Labrador.
Expertise & Services
Janice is frequently called upon to conduct investigations and assessments/reviews, as well as to advise or consult on complex, high-stakes issues pertaining to complaints of workplace harassment and other misconduct.
Accolades & Publications
Janice has been awarded Lexpert’s Zenith award, the National HR Awards’ Employment Lawyer of the Year award, and the Chambers and Partners award for Corporate Social Responsibility and Inclusion. She is listed in Canadian Who’s Who and Lexpert’s Leading 500 Lawyers in Canada.
She has co-authored two books, Human Resources Guide to Workplace Investigations along with Partner Christine Thomlinson, and the second edition of Law of Termination. A master communicator and public speaker, Janice is frequently requested by the media to comment on employment law issues. She teaches a variety of educational programs for both lawyers and human resource professionals and has taught courses on employment law at Osgoode Hall Law School.
A committed volunteer, Janice was the Chair of the Canadian Women’s Foundation initiative to help women living in poverty, “Women Moving Women.”
- Called to the Bar of Ontario
- B.A., University of Toronto (graduated with distinction)
- LL.B., Osgoode Hall Law School
- Basic Negotiation Skills Certification, Harvard Law School
- Mediation Skills Certification, CDR Associates
- Advanced Negotiation Skills Certification, Harvard Law School
- Certificate in Adjudication for Administrative Agencies, Boards & Tribunals, Society of Ontario Adjudicators and Regulators
- Authentic Leader Development, Harvard Business School
- Member: Law Society of Upper Canada, Ontario Bar Association